Monday, February 11, 2008

Adaptation and Persepolis

Here is an interesting post (from the Chicago Comics website) about the new film version of "Persepolis". It deals with the question of whether the film is necessary because of how it adapts the comic.

I have not seen the film, nor read the comic, but this article makes me want to start with the comic. As I've said before, the intimate nature of the comics experience often leads to longer lasting effects for me than many films do.

For all the similarities between various storytelling methods - for my purposes here including film, literature, myth, religion and comics - they are also very different. I for one wish film would create more of its' own stories instead of adapting all the others.

On the other hand, I wish the others were not losing ground in the race for people's attention. Well, maybe religion isn't, but that is not always a good thing.

No comments: