Sunday, October 26, 2008

W.

I saw Oliver Stone's "W." yesterday. I felt ashamed as I left the theater.

The ads for the film, with Talking Heads' "Once In a Lifetime" playing over them, had me geared up for a wickedly funny skewering of George W. Bush and his incredibly poor, and almost over, two terms in office. I wanted to laugh at him.

I saw the film.

I realized there was nothing to laugh at. His presidency has been inconceivably manipulative, dangerous and filled with failure after failure. There is nothing to laugh at. Even his incredible misuse of the English language is not funny. We deserve - we demand - better. At least, I hope we do at this point.

"W.", the film, portrayed W. as a brash young drunkard, looking for acceptance from his father, and finally finding success that allowed him to go his own way. I was surprised at how fair to Bush it was.

But there was hardly a laugh to be found. And though it offered reasons as to how he may have made such disastrous decisions, it never allowed circumstances to become excuses. And there are no excuses for such ignorant and selfish governance.

Good bye, W. I want to laugh without guilt again.

No comments: