Friday, February 20, 2009

Jason Lutes "Berlin: City of Smoke"


One of my favorite comic artists, storytellers I should say, is Jason Lutes. He tells a story in comic form that is extremely cinematic, but has an extra edge because it is not film. It's a comic. His line is exact and his detail impeccable. I have been meaning to write about Jason's work for a while now, but always find I don't want to dissect it. I just want to savor it.

One of his most amazing pages is that of a clarinet player, broken down into many small panels. By the layout and the spacing between the panels, I could hear the music. I love his work. Here is a link to an interview I did with Jason a long time ago. I once had a dream of opening a comic art gallery, store and animation cinema.... (I'm not quite sure THAT dream has died yet!)

"Berlin" is an incredibly dense and intricate tale of the city of Berlin between World War 1 and World War 2. It is political, romantic, funny, scathing and heartbreaking. The first two graphic novels have now been released. The third will probably take another three years or so. Following is a brief video of him that I put up here just because I had never known what he looked like when I stumbled on this.



No comments: